What are Urgent Alerts?
Urgent Alerts are an easy way to hear about and communicate urgent crime and safety situations in your neighbourhood. These special messages can be sent to Neighbourly members via a post on the site, via email and through a text message.
Urgent Alerts are free to send or receive and are intended for rare cases where crime and/or safety is a concern and the community needs to be notified quickly.
Examples of Urgent Alerts include extreme weather warnings, natural disasters, road closures, missing people or a dangerous situation within your community.
Receiving Urgent Alerts
You can receive Urgent Alerts from your neighbours via email and/or mobile phone text message. To start receiving Urgent Alerts by text message, or to stop receiving them, simply edit your Email Settings or your Mobile Settings.
Sending Urgent Alerts
You might consider sending an Urgent Alert to your neighbourhood if there's a local, time-sensitive emergency that they should know about.
While this is a free service, it is very important that all members respect this tool as it is reserved for times when information needs to be delivered in a time-sensitive manner. The Neighbourly team reserves the right not to send any urgent alert we deem inappropriate.
To post an Urgent Alert using your computer
- Visit your neighbourhood’s noticeboard. This is the page you start on when you first log in to Neighbourly
- Click in the white box reading POST A MESSAGE, EVENT, POLL OR URGENT ALERT TO NEIGHBOURS
- Click on URGENT ALERT located at the top right of the posting form, read the prompt and click Proceed
- Click on CHOOSE NEIGHBOURS to select your suburb or another neighbourhood around you
- If you wish to send a text message out as well as an email, check the tick-box above your message. Keep in mind, you'll then need to keep the message brief
- Write your Urgent Alert to your neighbours in the Message field
- Add an image if needed
- Click REVIEW MESSAGE. If it is correct, click SEND URGENT ALERT
To post an Urgent Alert using the Neighbourly App on your phone
- Tap on HOME. This is the page you start on when you first log in to Neighbourly
- Tap in the white box reading POST A MESSAGE
- Tap on URGENT ALERT
- Write your urgent message to your neighbours - keep it brief if you also wish to send this via text message
- Decide which suburbs to send to using the drop-down menu, then tap DONE
- Tap REVIEW to check your finished message
- Toggle whether to also send it via text message
- If everything looks right, tap SEND URGENT ALERT
- Urgent Alerts are limited to 110 characters (you can add more details later by replying on the post)
- You cannot delete an urgent alert once it has been sent
- Neighbourly does pay for every SMS alert sent, and therefore reserves the right to review each alert prior to sending to ensure it is a time-sensitive emergency